Scar Tissue doesn’t have the same functional properties or flexible characteristics as it’s pre injured facias or soft tissue once had. It can however be reshaped to counteract any differences in maintaining the following;
Good posture alignment
In relation to scar tissue and prior to bodywork been carried out tension and stress in the affected area may be primarily responsible for a shift in the balance between the right and left side of the body. As the body experiences chronic pain due to the myofascial stiffness resulting from scar tissue, it is a proven fact that patients suffering from this hard to treat myo facias release go on to suffer further complications.
This is simply explained by one aspect of the body failing to operate efficiently due to pain. The counterpart of the body will work to protect the injury but also work to carry out the function of that area, thus causing further complication as seen with the method of “over-compensating”. Relative to the site of injury this may cause a torc or twist in the pelvis or an elevated shoulder with a further forward rotation, causing huge postural issues. The possibilities are endless as to how the body reacts to protect its injured site but to continue to function and perform tasks as designed to do so, as seen with a limp been supported by a fast to follow the second step. I often compare this mechanical discrepancy to a team of workers that don’t have a fully committed workforce.
When some work colleagues come in late or not at all the other workers have to carry out their own work but also the work of the others who have proven inefficient or indeed absent. The mechanical workings of the body operate in a similar fashion. You have in relation to scar tissue, muscles that don’t fire or operate in sequence to every other muscle or indeed muscles that are completely unresponsive and don’t fire or activate at all. To keep it simple, where scar tissue is involved, it prevents the patient from moving freely with a relatively painless ability to move. There are restrictions and pain when the affected area is challenged to operate outside its comfort zone which would not be accepted to be within in rage of usual capabilities, prior to the injury. Remodelling, or reshaping the scar tissue is a common enough practice and below this article highlights how to carry out the procedure
The following points will be covered:
- restricted movement
- pain management
Normal movement becomes restricted and as the muscle tissue becomes tightened and limited in its range of movement it results in causing pain and discomfort. Despite this, scar tissue plays an integral part in the body’s natural ability to heal itself as it connects the underlying layers of tissue as seen with tendons, ligaments, facia and skin resulting from various break, strains and sprains, tears (microfibres or those occurring naturally).
How to reduce scar tissue
You should check with your doctor first before you attempt the following. This is a precautionary measure to ensure it is safe for you to partake in the following techniques.
By applying a small amount of vitamin E oil to the affected area, gently massage the scar tissue and it’s surrounding area to warm the muscle. This should not be painful, but it is acceptable for the client to feel some level of discomfort.
This helps the scar move in the same way as the normal surrounding skin, which decreases the scar tissue adhesions and formations so you can restore normal functional mobility.
- Use your thumb or fingertips to firmly massage the area in a circular motion, keeping to the parameter of the affected area.
- Follow this by applying pressure with your thumb or fingers to the width and length of the scar, whilst being mindful of the client’s response to pain.
- By gently palpating and mechanically moving the joint nearest to the affected area in the opposite direction, or indeed in a circular motion, it will allow the scar to be stretched. This will have the effect of breaking down the different layers of adhesions. By implementing the natural action of the limb as seen with adduction, abduction, flexion or extension or rotation, it will stretch and remould the scar in the manner required to promote movement in its most natural plain.
- Allowing the limb further movement outside this zone in time will mark success as it increases with improved flexibility and range of movement.
- This is the opposite to contraction where the edges are brought to the centre of the legion or scar.
- Hold a firm level of pressure to one end of the scar and stretch the opposing effected area away in the opposite direction. Maintain this pressure for 10 seconds at a time. This will have the effect of stretching the scar but also breaking the adhesions that are holding the scar in place. It will also give movement to the many different layers beneath. This should not be painful but uncomfortable. It should also provide an increased range of movement.
- With the scar between your fingers massage over back and forward many times to loosen the scar tissue. Massage the full length of the scar again caution should be taken not to cause pain. Discomfort
- is acceptable, however.
- With the aid of a golf ball or something appropriate to suit the area, apply pressure beneath the scar tissue and proceed to roll it out in a similar manner as described in the preceding paragraph. This will break down any tightened or hardened tissue that is causing restrictions, resulting from scar tissue.
Silicone Scar Pads
- The scar pad is 100% silicone gel. It creates a water-based film over the scar which improves the texture, movement and appearance. This silicone-based pad is very beneficial in reducing the colour of the scar but also the texture.
Each scent has a unique personality
Fugit tritani mei ea, ut vim esse dicunt perpetua, adhuc detracto luptatum et sea. Eam te cibo dicat consul, altera instructior sit ne. Pri an tale idque reformidans, pri ea sumo oportere indoctum. Ut graeco tamquam moderatius quas pertinax tractatos eum at:
- Alienum accumsan menandri ad, in habeo nobis eam accumsan
- Menandri ad, in habeo nobis an posse ubique vim, probatus sadipscing
- Saperet constituam mei ad, te per cibo suavitate intellegat, nec ponderum
Te vidit nemore vituperatoribus usu, possim suscipiantur comprehensam mea in. Ea dico doctus interesset per, no sit quod tale volutpat. Fugit tritani mei ea, ut vim esse dicunt perpetua, adhuc detracto luptatum et sea. Eam te cibo dicat consul, altera instructior sit ne.